The Focal Utopia Open-Back Over-Ear Headphones are the result of innovation, development, and manufacturing of high-end speakers and drivers. These audiophile headphones are designed and manufactured in France, and feature the only full-range, near-field loudspeakers built within a pair of headphones. The Utopia comes with a 13.1-foot cable, and a rigid carrying case with a magnetic closure.
The Utopia features large 40mm full-range "M"-shaped dome drivers made of pure Beryllium. Beryllium is 3 times more rigid than Titanium, and 5 times that of Aluminum, while having only 40% of the density of Titanium, and 70% of the density of Aluminum. This combination of low mass, high rigidity, and high damping factor makes Beryllium an ideal material for a speaker driver.
Open Headphone Design
Focal decided that the best way to deliver all of the Utopia's performance was to utilize a fully open headphone design for total decompression of the loudspeakers. The open design provides the lowest possible acoustic impedance to reproducing accurate and detailed bass frequencies, and gives you an extremely natural listening experience.
The circum-aural ear cups feature 20mm thick memory foam cushions, covered by a bi-material construction made with true lambskin leather and perforated microfiber fabric. This combo provides a balance between a lively room with lots of reverb and a "damp" room with no reflections. The result is a flat frequency response in the upper mid and high frequencies between 1 kHz and 10 kHz.
The included 13.1' (4-meter) high fidelity cable features 24 AWG conductors with OFC (oxygen-free copper) shielding and an extremely low impedance (under 90 mΩ). The 2-sided cable features shielded 9.5mm Lemo connectors with a self-locking bayonet system to plug into the ear cups. The end of the cable has a standard 1/4" plug.
- Over-the-ear, open-back design for reduced resonance and spacious, natural sound
- 40mm dynamic drivers made of high-grade materials like strong, lightweight beryllium
- Specially designed "M-shaped" pure beryllium domes help reproduce a wide frequency range
- A separate headphone amplifier is required to properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
- Designed, developed, and assembled in Saint-Etienne, France
- Drivers positioned in open-back headphone chamber to help emulate the sound of loudspeakers
- Headband and earcups lined with Pittards leather
- Generous memory foam padding on the headband and earcups
- Carbon fiber headband yokes slide comfortably and sturdily into place